Frank and Morris Eckhart established the Auburn Automobile Company in Auburn Indiana. The Eckhart brothers worked at their father's wagon company, the Eckhart Carriage Co., prior to their inheriting the business. Frank and Morris' true interest were with the new horseless carriages being built by other carriage companies. With the desire to build their own automobile, they established the Auburn Automobile Company in 1900.
Their initial offering was a single cylinder chain drive runabout. It was priced at $800. The car did not sell well. It was too expensive to produce and ended up being priced well above the offerings from other manufacturers. In 1903 the Eckharts reintroduced their car with many needed changes. Still a one-cylinder car, they would later offer a two and a four-cylinder model and in 1912 offered a six-cylinder model. The Auburn car company was selling cars, but it was not the success it needed to be.
The company was heading towards receivership, soon to be purchased by a group of Chicago businessmen. The group included William Wrigley of Chewing Gum and Baseball fame. Wrigley and his investors wanted to get into the new and growing automobile business. In 1919, the Chicago group purchased the Auburn Automobile Company from the Eckhart's. Their first new model was the Auburn Beauty Six. It offered many improvements and a streamlined, fender-less body that received a lot of praise. The company made progress, but continued to battle for a position in the growing automobile market. Fri Nite - N St Paul 2014