Melodramas can be seen here on weekends
After a devastating fire that wiped away parts of the central downtown area, this glorious building was built in 1918, as a center of theater and the arts for the community, that included a bar area. Traveling shows came to town on their road tours, offering many types of entertainment here as well.
As was the case in many other cities, such a handsome building has been used a lot throughout its 94 year old history. This solid building also served as a club, an illegal bar or speak-easy in the 1920s, a silent movie house, a roller rink, city hall and as a civic center.
It once again became The Mantorville Opera House Theatre in the 1970s, and has been producing plays of all kinds ever since. In the 1980s, the old stone building was bought from the city by the Mantorville Restoration Association, a non-profit organization that is dedicated to restoring, and renovating the old theatre, making it both beautiful, and an up-to-date theatre, loved by the community at large. The non-profit Mantorville Theatre Company rents the theatre from the Mantorville Restoration Association, and produces all the on stage productions.